Pick Easy to Read Fonts
There are endless choices for fonts but that doesn’t mean you should consider them all. Most graphic designers recommend sticking to just one or two fonts per sign and pick fonts that are clear and easy to read. Avoid cursive fonts and make sure you pick a font size that is large enough to read at a distance, especially if your target market is Baby Boomers.
Choose the Right Colors
Retail interior graphic design may require a different color scheme than exterior graphic design so adjust accordingly. You can also use colors to promote a specific season (think green, red and gold for a Christmas promotion) or to support your brand (pick colors that compliment your logo or are in your brand’s color scheme).
Less is More
In an era where people send short text messages and often use abbreviations, it is important to keep editing your sign’s text until it is as succinct as possible. Get rid of any extra words and look for ways to simplify the message.
Be Specific and Give a Reason
Your graphic design for retail stores should tell the customer exactly what they are buying or why they should buy. A good approach is to avoid listing features and focus on the benefits – the solution that your product or service will provide. For instance, if you were selling hair products then perhaps the sign might read, “Get rid of dandruff once and for all.” If you were selling roses then your sign might read, “Roses, the easiest way to say you’re sorry.”
Test Out Your New Retail Graphics
Once your retail graphic design is completed and printed it is time to put you signs on display and see how they look and perform:
- Make sure you install the sign at the right angle so people can see it easily.
- Is the sign going in a window? Make sure you can see what it says through the glass and possible reflection.
- If it’s retail interior graphic design, will it have adequate lighting? For instance, if it is installed at the back of your retail space will you be able to read it from the front of the store or from a reasonable distance.
- Account for all times of day too! How does your sign look in the morning and at night once the sun is setting?
- For more information on retail graphic design, visual merchandising, and signage, visit our website! Or if you would you like to work with one of our in-house graphic designers, reach our printing experts at …… or send us an email. We will be happy to assist you!